The Witches of the Glass Castle - Gabriella Lepore [eng/fr]

Aux éditions Oftomes Publishing, 366 pages, 2017

Mia’s life is thrown through a loop when she discovers her family secret — that she and her brother Dino are witches. After they are sent away to study their craft, they begin down a path that will change their lives forever. Suddenly thrust into a world where handsome warriors command the power of nature and people’s thoughts and actions can be manipulated at will, Mia and Dino struggle to navigate their own allegiances and do what they know to be right when everything around them seems beyond their control.


.
English -

I got the chance to read The Witches of the Glass Castle thanks to Oftomes Publishing (BIG THANKS!). I was really excited about this book since it deals with teenage witches and as a potterhead, I don’t need anything else to get seduced.

I started it as soon as I received the ebook copy and I must admit my expectations might have been too high. Although it was a page turner and one of those books perfect to read in one sitting, everything was predictable. From the main plot to the love interest, you didn’t have to be Sherlock to know what was going to happen. I love being surprised and some novels still manage to make me gasp – unfortunately not The Witches of the Glass Castle.

I felt disconnected from the characters from the beginning to end. They weren’t that bad, but a part of themselves was missing. Maia was the typical teenager who’s lost and lacks of self-confidence, and her brother Dino was the big brother who thinks to be superior to anyone. Their personality was defined only by those characteristics and I wished Maia and Dino were more deep. Therefore, Maia had so little sense, she was acting like an annoying 13 years old girl. If people say “don’t do that”, she will do it right away and then will start whining because it went wrong. On the other hand, I was more convinced by Kizzy and Blue (Maia and Dino’s friends). Even if they only had few passages, they seemed to be nice and supportive friends. But they needed more development (and more passages, my poor sweethearts)!! And Colt was a no-no for me, way too predictable, worse than Maia.

Despite those facts, I enjoyed reading this novel. The concept of one child = one kind of power was interesting and it offers a lot of possibilities. I would have loved to read more about the other children in the Glass Castle rather than only four of them. Knowing what kind of other powers exist, how teenagers deal with it, if they create alliances with the others by combining the strength of their power together, and so on. Also, I loved the idea of one big house where teenage witches can learn to control magic, though I would have liked a bit more witchy things (spells, potions…) but even without it didn’t spoil the story.

Overall, The Witches of the Glass Castle wasn’t the best for me I guess. The storyline itself was good, but the characters were the biggest flaw. I checked Goodreads reviews just after finishing the novel.  It seems to be appreciated by a lot of people and I wish I could have enjoyed it as much as they did. I will definitely read the second book (The Witches of the Dark Power), supposing that the characters would have matured. 

Français - 

A venir

Ma note : 5 / 10

[...] I believe everyone is born equal – a blank canvas. And it's the choices we make that will ultimately define who we will become. Not just as witches, but as men and women alike.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire